So the other day I was thinking to myself 'Self' you are on vacation you should do some more hiking even if your foot is not in full co-operation. So I called up My Dad and Scott who both though of it and then thought better of hiking with me that day. (Foreshadowing I think so!!)
So I looked at what I wanted to do and I thought I don't want to do the normal 9 mile look I usually do I want to do the big 16mile loop. What you say 16 miles not too bad for a hike that I had some time to do. aka I was starting at 9am and I wanted to be done by 1:30 so I could make my Trust/Will appointment with my wife (MORE FORESHADOWING!)
Reference: First Water Loop Description
Loop 4: From the Dutchman/Boulder Canyon Trail intersection (8.8 miles), turn right onto the Boulder Canyon Trail. Follow this fainter, mildly overgrown NOT SO MILD trail on one side of the dry stream bed NOT SO DRY or another, crossing sides frequently (look for cairns at these crossings MOSTLY NON EXSISTANT, they are occasionally somewhat confusing since the rocks lining the streambed obscure the trail SEE CAN"T SEE THE TRAIL FROM THE OTHER SIDE OF THE RIVER). After 0.8 miles you will pass a small canyon on the right that is worth poking your head into (similar to La Barge Canyon, but not as deep or narrow) I THINK I DID THIS ON ACCIDENT, another mile further brings you to the right branching Cavalry Trail (10.6 miles). Continue on the Boulder Canyon Trail (OR LIKE AN IDIOT TAKE THE CAVALRY TRAIL at this point I was at 12.5 miles but only 2.5 hours into my hike) which becomes easier to follow at this point and walk 1.4 miles until you hit the intersection with the Second Water Trail (12 miles). Turn left on the Second Water Trail which follows the stream bed a ways, then begins a gradual climb up to Black Mesa which is quite flat on top (like most mesas I guess). SOMEPLACE HERE YOU BASICALLY Get off the Cavalry trail onto this (At this point I was at 14.5miles)... You will reach the junction with the left branching Black Mesa Trail after 1.7 miles (13.7 miles - 16.2miles) ), continue straight and walk the remaining 1.8 miles back to your car (15.5 miles - 18miles 7 hours).
So to Recap I spent about 2.5 miles in the evil eveil cavalry trail which took me about 3 hours and then I was so tired the last 3 miles too me 1.5 hours to finish. The Cavalry trail is not so easy not so dry VERY OVERGROWN and just a big CF. Now this could be becuase of the recent Rains we have had in Arizona which a month in the rain does crazy things to a place filed with no rain most of the time and having rivers instead of dry riverbeds makes things a little more challenging. All in all I did survive the dogs survived though they did not like all the cholla I kept picking out of them. (If you have never had fun with Cholla they call it teddy bear cholla for a reason - because it loves to HUG YOU it is super brittle and pops right off and has hooked barbs and is awesome to take out - for a funny read, read the last line talk about an understatement!)
Needless to say did I state that it took 7 hours instead of the 4.5 that I was thinking which made me 1.5 hours late for my Trust/Will meeting with Lindsey who by this time had called everyone in the world trying to find me. Once my phone got reception and limited it was before it broke up all I got out was 'I'm Alive, I'm Sorry, and were not hurt' at which point the phone went out and I am sure she switched from 'I hope Avery and the girls are alive' to 'I'm going to kill that Idiot!'
Some pictures to keep you all in the happy place....
Enjoy!
Avery
No comments:
Post a Comment